Benefits of Shopping Locally
For over 90 years, we’ve been proud to be a part of the local business community in Palm Beach County, and we know how important it is to help local businesses thrive. The benefits of supporting local, independently-owned businesses are well-documented. Below are some of the reasons for all of us to buy local:
- When You Buy Local, You Support Yourself – Several studies have shown that when you buy from an independent, locally owned business, rather than a nationally owned business, significantly more of your money is used to make purchases from other local businesses and service providers — continuing to strengthen the economic base of the community. This is known as the local multiplier effect.
- Better Service – Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products they are selling and take more time to get to know customers.
- Create More Jobs – Small local businesses are the largest employer nationally and in our community, provide the most jobs to residents.
- Investing in the Community – Local businesses are owned by people who live in this community, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s future.
- Support Local Charities – Non-profit organizations receive an average 250% more support from smaller business owners than they do from large businesses.
- Reduce Environmental Impact – Locally owned businesses can make more local purchases requiring less transportation and generally set up shop in town or city centers as opposed to developing on the fringe. This generally means contributing less to sprawl, congestion, habitat loss and pollution.